MyFootTalk.com QR Code. Scan me with your smart phone, or click to open in a new window, then scan.
Free Web Forum for Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and people whose lives especially depend on feet:
sportsmen, dancers, singers, actors, runners, weight lifters, jumpers, martial artists, gymnasts, alpinists, travelers, hikers, geologists and all others!

Follow us on MyFootTalk.com on Facebook
MyFootTalk.com on Twitter We got followers!
Quick Links

Tweet this page!

Home
Quick Search

Forum Home
 Forum Rules, FAQ
 Forum Announcements
 Forum Suggestions
 Humor

General Category
 Member Introductions
 Feet in your life
 Music and Musicians
 Fitness and Sport
 All about food
 All about shoes
 Free Forum, no login

Our Life
 Real Estate

Podiatry Forums
 Private Room
 General questions
 Podiatry Practices
 Patient Testimonials
 Podiatry Medicine
  Anatomy, Exams
  Bunions
  Diabetes
  Gait
  Injuries, Fractures
  Knee
  Leg Veins
  Nails
  Skin
  Surgery
  Other Topics
 Unusual Podiatry Cases
 Publications
 From Blogs
 Reviews, Links
 Medical Billing
 Career, Jobs
 Job Discussion

Medical Suppliers
 General Forum
 Medical Equipment
 Disposable Supplies
 Emergency Kits
 Personal Care
 Current sales

Computers, Software
 Computer in your office
 Computer in your pocket
 Computer in your vehicle
 EMR, Medical Records
 Practices on the Internet
 Computer Security

Our Web Store
Podiatry Books
Exercises, Training, Diets
Personal Foot Care
Walkers and Wheelchairs

Support us!

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Diabetic Foot Ulcers
Dr Brian Richman Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2011 12:24:48 PM(UTC)
Dr Brian Richman

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Diabetic foot ulcers can lead to infection, osteomylitis, amputation. If you surgically correct to deformity causing the diabetic foot ulcer as soon as possible before infection can occur. You can significantly reduce the complications of infection /osteomylitis / amputation. For example if the patient has a distal toe ulceration from a hammertoe deformity, correct the hammertoe and it will heal the ulcer within 1 month. Do not let the patient get their foot wet until incision is healed usually within 3 -4 weeks . Another example ulcer sub 1st metatarsal, think of surgically removing tibial sesamoid through a medial incision with possible plantar exostecomy 1st metatarsal. Usually these ulcers heal within 4 weeks. I usually use a pluse Vac flush of 6,000 cc of saline and bactracin solution intra operative correcting these ulcerations. Please let me know if I can help with any diabetic ulcerations Thanks Dr Brian Richman
1 user thanked Dr Brian Richman for this useful post.
Mason on 4/13/2011(UTC)
Sponsor
Press and hold the Shift key down before you click the links below to open them in a separate window and keep the forum open
Mason Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:29:18 PM(UTC)
Mason

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dr Brian Richman Go to Quoted Post
Do not let the patient get their foot wet until incision is healed usually within 3-4 weeks.

Dr. Richman, thanks for this article. I'm sorry I cannot recall, but I saw on this forum a very simple advice how to keep the patient foot dry. I think it was in some video presentation, but cannot find it now. I will forward you the link when I find it.
Mason
Benjamine41 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:07:06 AM(UTC)
Benjamine41

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Diabetics are prone to foot ulcerations due to both neurologic and vascular complications.
Peripheral neuropathy can cause altered or complete loss of sensation in the foot and /or leg. Similar to the feeling of a "fat lip" after a dentist's anesthetic injection, the diabetic with advanced neuropathy looses all sharp-dull discrimination. Any cuts or trauma to the foot can go completely unnoticed for days or weeks in a patient with neuropathy. It's not uncommon to have a patient with neuropathy tell you that the ulcer "just appeared" when, in fact, the ulcer has been present for quite some time. There is no known cure for neuropathy, but strict glucose control has been shown to slow the progression of the neuropathy.
Charcot foot deformity occurs as a result of decreased sensation. People with "normal" feeling in their feet automatically determine when too much pressure is being placed on an area of the foot. Once identified, our bodies instinctively shift position to relieve this stress. A patient with advanced neuropathy looses this important mechanism. As a result, tissue ischemia and necrosis may occur leading to plantar ulcerations. Microfractures in the bones of the foot go unnoticed and untreated, resulting in disfigurement, chronic swelling and additional bony prominences.
Microvascular disease is a significant problem for diabetics and can lead to ulcerations. It is well known that diabetes is called a small vessel disease. Most of the problems caused by narrowing of the small arteries cannot be resolved surgically. It is critical that diabetics maintain close control on their glucose level, maintain a good body weight and avoid smoking in an attempt to reduce the onset of small vessel disease.
Treatment: First, you must determine the cause of this ulcer. Is it neuropathic, ischemic or a combination? Base your treatment protocol on the etiology of the ulcer. Assuming that there is adequate perfusion to heal a plantar ulcer, one should have appropriate shoe modifications made to disperse weight away from the ulcerative area. Absorb any excess discharge and maintain a moist wound environment with appropriate product selection. Keep the wound edges dry. Make sure no sinus tracking occurs. Watch for infection. Debride necrotic debris and the hyperkeratotic rim as they are niduses of for infection.
1 user thanked Benjamine41 for this useful post.
Forum Admin on 11/26/2011(UTC)