MyFootTalk.com QR Code. Scan me with your smart phone, or click to open in a new window, then scan.
Free Web Forum for Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and people whose lives especially depend on feet:
sportsmen, dancers, singers, actors, runners, weight lifters, jumpers, martial artists, gymnasts, alpinists, travelers, hikers, geologists and all others!

Follow us on MyFootTalk.com on Facebook
MyFootTalk.com on Twitter We got followers!
Quick Links

Tweet this page!

Home
Quick Search

Forum Home
 Forum Rules, FAQ
 Forum Announcements
 Forum Suggestions
 Humor

General Category
 Member Introductions
 Feet in your life
 Music and Musicians
 Fitness and Sport
 All about food
 All about shoes
 Free Forum, no login

Our Life
 Real Estate

Podiatry Forums
 Private Room
 General questions
 Podiatry Practices
 Patient Testimonials
 Podiatry Medicine
  Anatomy, Exams
  Bunions
  Diabetes
  Gait
  Injuries, Fractures
  Knee
  Leg Veins
  Nails
  Skin
  Surgery
  Other Topics
 Unusual Podiatry Cases
 Publications
 From Blogs
 Reviews, Links
 Medical Billing
 Career, Jobs
 Job Discussion

Medical Suppliers
 General Forum
 Medical Equipment
 Disposable Supplies
 Emergency Kits
 Personal Care
 Current sales

Computers, Software
 Computer in your office
 Computer in your pocket
 Computer in your vehicle
 EMR, Medical Records
 Practices on the Internet
 Computer Security

Our Web Store
Podiatry Books
Exercises, Training, Diets
Personal Foot Care
Walkers and Wheelchairs

Support us!

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Car Phone Holders
Forum Admin Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 10:15:11 PM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Car Phone Holders
Thoughts, solutions

Many of us spend time thinking about how to place our favorite phone in our car so it should always be accessible, visible, we could use the maps, see the callers or instead call, find a destination, etc. There are a number of devices doing basically the same:

1. Use the windshield - restricted in some states, not very solid, limits visibility.
2. Use the dash - glue, screw, etc.
3. Use the disk player - damage the player, remove it every time before you want to use it.
4. Use the cup holder - lose the place for the cup and not very, visible and and stable.
5. Use a special leg (pricey!) and a special holder on the top - good, but requires some extra money, like $100-150 and efforts to install it.
6. Use the AC - lose the part of your AC power, can damage the AC window, can be pricey.
7. Some other decisions requiring screwing the holder and damage the car - not acceptable at all!
8. Make a phone holder (again for AC) using the office supplies - does't always work, especial for the huge phones and phablets, damages the AC.

Did I miss something?

I spent some time thinking how to fix my favorite Samsung Note II in Prius. Prius itself has a very busy dash and it's hard to find a place even to put your phone on it. A cup holder? Or a phone holder in a cup holder? I tried both. The phone in the cup holder was the only solution for me for a couple of months while I was trying and testing many others mentioned above and returning them back one by one. My phone is large and convenient, on the other hand, the car has a bluetooth and other very cool functionality and I don't need my phone to make a phone call, it can be done through the car touch panel. So it looks like the car designers were so sure that we'll never use a phone holder, that didn't leave any space for it.

Finally I got an idea to use a piece of Velcro and it worked just perfectly. It's almost invisible on the car dash - black on black, so the car is fine, plus I can always detach it, there is no damage or it is minimal. The worst thing can happen - you will need to remove the glue if it separates from the fabrics. So the main piece was successfully glued on the dash between the AC outputs. The second piece was glued on the back side of the phone cover. Simple, quick and cheap! The phone can be adjusted every time I put it, it's almost vertical, so I can see the Google map, which is way more advanced, that the original Prius GPS map/navigation system. Plus it lets me see the main screens, so nothing is lost. We'l see pretty soon how stable it is, but the first impression - it should work just fine. The phone is wide enough to provide a good point of contact.
Admin

1 user thanked Forum Admin for this useful post.
Dr Watson on 7/21/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Press and hold the Shift key down before you click the links below to open them in a separate window and keep the forum open
Forum Admin Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:01:32 PM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Car Phone Holders
Thoughts, solutions

Finally I got an idea to use a piece of Velcro and it worked just perfectly. It's almost invisible on the car dash - black on black, so the car is fine, plus I can always detach it, there is no damage to the cat. The worst thing can happen - you will need to remove the glue if it separates from the fabrics. But it mostly depends on the Velcro quality. Don't use cheap stuff! There is a huge difference between $1, $2 and $3 for a similar product. Drool

So the main piece was successfully attached to the dash above/between the AC outputs. The other pieces were attached to the back side of the phone cover and to the Tablet PC cover. Simple, quick and cheap! The first impression - it should work just fine. The phone, and especially the Tablet PC, are large enough to provide a very good contact.

From now on the phone can be adjusted every time I put it, it's almost vertical so I can perfectly see it (or almost perfectly if the sun is too bright). I got the Google map and Navigation, which is way more advanced, that the original Prius GPS map/navigation system. Plus it lets me see the main screens, so nothing is lost. Since I route the Internet connection to my Tablet PC using my phone it shows me a real-time traffic, searches for the points of interest, etc.

It really exceeded my expectations. I drove several days with this phone "holder" and got no even a single complaint! I can put my phone (or 2 phones) or a Tablet PC, and it glues to the Velcro surface until I take it off. I can use a large navigation map on my Tablet PC with full point to point GPS guidance with voice. And it's about $2 only! Highly recommend!
Forum Admin attached the following image(s):
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): 20130716_220902.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): 20130716_221047.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): 20130720_141425.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): Samsung-vertical.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): Samsung-phone-GPS-horiz.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): Samsung-phone-GPS-horiz1.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): Tablet-GPS.jpg
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): TabletPC.jpg
Admin

1 user thanked Forum Admin for this useful post.
Dr Watson on 7/21/2013(UTC)
Dr Watson Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:04:26 PM(UTC)
Dr Watson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hm, such a great idea and it costs just a couple of bucks to try it out! I tried that with my Tablet PC, but without the case and it worked great. Although you are right, it makes no sense to directly put Velcro on the Tablet PC because it is hard to slide it back inside the case with the Velcro on. I learned my lesson and reattached the Velcro on the case. d'oh!
Forum Admin Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:42:59 AM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Here is what I used in my last 1,743 mile trip.
Forum Admin attached the following image(s):
Forum Admin attached the following image(s): DSC_7803.jpg
Admin