MyFootTalk.com QR Code. Scan me with your smart phone, or click to open in a new window, then scan.
Free Web Forum for Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and people whose lives especially depend on feet:
sportsmen, dancers, singers, actors, runners, weight lifters, jumpers, martial artists, gymnasts, alpinists, travelers, hikers, geologists and all others!

Follow us on MyFootTalk.com on Facebook
MyFootTalk.com on Twitter We got followers!
Quick Links

Tweet this page!

Home
Quick Search

Forum Home
 Forum Rules, FAQ
 Forum Announcements
 Forum Suggestions
 Humor

General Category
 Member Introductions
 Feet in your life
 Music and Musicians
 Fitness and Sport
 All about food
 All about shoes
 Free Forum, no login

Our Life
 Real Estate

Podiatry Forums
 Private Room
 General questions
 Podiatry Practices
 Patient Testimonials
 Podiatry Medicine
  Anatomy, Exams
  Bunions
  Diabetes
  Gait
  Injuries, Fractures
  Knee
  Leg Veins
  Nails
  Skin
  Surgery
  Other Topics
 Unusual Podiatry Cases
 Publications
 From Blogs
 Reviews, Links
 Medical Billing
 Career, Jobs
 Job Discussion

Medical Suppliers
 General Forum
 Medical Equipment
 Disposable Supplies
 Emergency Kits
 Personal Care
 Current sales

Computers, Software
 Computer in your office
 Computer in your pocket
 Computer in your vehicle
 EMR, Medical Records
 Practices on the Internet
 Computer Security

Our Web Store
Podiatry Books
Exercises, Training, Diets
Personal Foot Care
Walkers and Wheelchairs

Support us!

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Toyota Prius 2013 - bugs, issues
Dr Watson Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 10:58:06 PM(UTC)
Dr Watson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Toyota Prius 2013 - Bugs, Issues

Toyota Prius is a great car and there is no doubt about it. But nothing is perfect. Here is a list of bugs and issues found in this car. I guess this list will be periodically updated by other people.

1. The US version of this car can switch between Miles and Kilometers, but the thermometer showing the internal and external temperature always shows the Fahrenheit degrees. It was confirmed first by Toyota Japan, second by Toyota USA and finally by my local dealership. It's not critical for everyone, but I honestly would prefer it to be in Celsius, it's just me personal preference.

2. The manual tells, that the buzzer-reminder about seat belts going ON when the speed exceeds 12 miles/hour can turned off by the dealership. They usually refuse to do that. It's like you buy the pair of pants with a built-in pampers. Safe and convenient! But will you be happy with this purchase? There are many sites on the Internet describing how to turn this "feature" off. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in Prius 2013 or I was so unlucky.

3. The player that came with enTune is more or less acceptable, although the settings could be way more advanced, but it basically works, except just one nuisance. You cannot browse your own files. Say, you grabbed your favorite music in a folder and want to find and play this folder. Forget about that. The player indexes all the files once you connected the USB drive, and then shows the different categories - in other words everything, but what you wanted.

4. The same player hangs up if you added the files to your USB drive with the names other than European code system. So if the names are using the upper 127 characters of the byte it will either show you the spaces instead of the file name and content, or quietly hang up. Nice feature! It's not final and once the incorrect files with the "bad" names are removed the player will return back and will re-index your USB drive.

5. Toyota Security system is the best. At least it was said multiple times by my dealership. Is it so? Well, actually it's a big disappointment, or rather a number of disappointments. If you turn the auto arming mode ON, then you will get a big surprise when you arrive to your garage, go take your mail, return back to the car and open it. It's not locked as it should be, according to the manual, the auto arming mode should do that. But it doesn't. It just activates itself. So don't trust the manual. If you forgot to lock your car it will never be locked. The alarm mode will be activated and the alarm will be turned ON... after 30 seconds, but the car will remain unlocked. These 30 seconds are enough to take your valuable things out of your car and quietly leave. Very impressive feature! The question is who designed it - a second grader?d'oh!

6. If you finally found, that you should not trust the auto alarm mode and locked your car that's probably fine. You then return back, the car recognizes you, turns the light ON, lets you unlock the door if you just touch the handle since it feels the remote in your pocket. You then relax and go to the trunk or to the right door to load the car. It suddenly starts beeping because the alarm was not disarmed and it goes ON if you didn't disable it with your remote or didn't turn the engine ON - everything inside a 30 second delay, which can be changed only by your dealership.

7. If you finally decided to turn this cool feature off and open the ES3200 manual you finally realize, that you need to use the ignition key, but the problem is - the Prius doesn't have it. Be ready to drive back to your dealership and bend your knees and beg them to turn it off using their computer connected to ODB2. You will be lucky if they don't charge you $40-$60 or more dollars for this service.

8. If you upgraded your security system and installed the Glass Breakage sensor for $500+ be sure that it will keep silence even if the half of your car is disassembled. It's deaf and doesn't hear anything even set at the maximum sensitivity. The fact, that it's installed behind the plastic panel below your steering wheel means that the poor enough sensitivity will be even worse. Good luck with this super sensor! Really - it's just lost money, because the main security system is already preinstalled in the car and the sensor, being a very expensive addition, doesn't make yours and your car lives safer. The more advances Prius V has radar that could be used by the security system feeling all people cruising around. But not all Prius have these radars, that's for sure!

So there are only 8 complaints for now. I hope someone can add his problems to this list and make it longer. Think or even better - will add the possible ways to fix these issues. That would be great, because the Prius is a great car and I love it. But these nuisances are significantly lowering the entire impressions about the Toyota Company and this car in particular.
Sponsor
Press and hold the Shift key down before you click the links below to open them in a separate window and keep the forum open
Forum Admin Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:32:20 PM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dr Watson Go to Quoted Post

In addition I can tell about ABS Light /Trac Inop Light / Break issues in Toyota Prius as well as Lexus. The age of the car doesn't count. It can shot in a relatively old car and in a brand new car with 2,000-3,000 mileage. Suddenly the ABS light and the Trac Inop light go ON and stay. When they are ON the car stops using the power regeneration and, as a result, the breaks work much less efficiently causing troubles. Sometimes it can lead to an accident and even an injury. Toyota recalled several hundreds of thousands of the cars to apply a quick software fix for this problem. But sometimes these problems can be caused by a number of different reasons. For example the ABS sensor can be damaged, etc. This topic is very googlable and it's easy to find a number of publications about that. Here is one of the examples:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/art...rint.cfm?article_id=1868

Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall on 2010 Model-Year Prius and 2010 Lexus HS 250h Vehicles to Update ABS Software

Click here for FAQs About the 2010 Prius/2010 Lexus HS 250h/Camry Voluntary Recalls
http://pressroom.toyota.com/art...play.cfm?article_id=1869

Inspection of Power Steering Hose Position on Certain 2010 Camry Also Announced

Recalls Underscore Toyota’s Commitment to Address All Vehicle Quality and Safety Issues Promptly and Effectively

TORRANCE, Calif., February 8, 2010 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc, today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 133,000 2010 Model Year Prius vehicles and 14,500 Lexus Division 2010 HS 250h vehicles to update software in the vehicle’s anti-lock brake system (ABS). No other Toyota, Lexus, or Scion vehicles are involved in this recall.

The ABS, in normal operation, engages and disengages rapidly (many times per second) as the control system senses and reacts to tire slippage. Some 2010 model year Prius and 2010 HS 250h owners have reported experiencing inconsistent brake feel during slow and steady application of brakes on rough or slick road surfaces when the ABS is activated in an effort to maintain tire traction.

Toyota has responded to owner concerns with a running production change for 2010 Prius that was introduced last month, improving the ABS system’s response time, as well as the system’s overall sensitivity to tire slippage. The production change for the HS 250h is planned for later this month.

“We’re committed to doing everything we can – as fast as we can – to restore consumer trust in Toyota, and these recalls are part of this effort,” said Jim Lentz, President and Chief Operating Officer, Toyota Motor Sales. “We regret the inconvenience this recall will cause to Prius and HS 250h owners, and will do our best with the support of our dealers to make sure that it is conducted in the most trouble-free manner possible.”

Mr. Lentz continued: “As part of the quality improvement program announced by Toyota President Akio Toyoda last week, our company is undertaking a top to bottom review to ensure that our vehicles meet our own high standards of safety and reliability, now and for the future. We are taking steps to implement more stringent quality control across the company, to investigate customer complaints more aggressively and to respond more quickly to any safety issues we identify.”

The recall will allow Toyota dealers to perform the software update on 2010 Prius vehicles sold prior to this running production change. Only Prius vehicles produced since May 2009 and all HS 250h vehicles are subject to this recall. First- and second-generation Prius vehicles use a different ABS system and are not involved in this campaign.

The ABS system on the Lexus HS 250h is similar in design to the Prius. The software adjustment planned for HS 250h production and dealer modification is being finalized and will be announced very soon.

Toyota will begin mailing letters to Prius owners included in this recall next week and HS 250h owners within the next few weeks, to let them know when to bring their vehicles into a dealership. Owners will only receive a letter if their vehicle is involved in the recall.

Separately, Toyota will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 7,300 early production - 2010 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the 4 cylinder engine to inspect for a power steering hose that may be in contact with a front brake tube. This contact could lead to a hole in the brake tube and cause a brake fluid leak, increased brake pedal stroke and greater vehicle stopping distance.

Owners of the involved 2010 Camry vehicles will be notified by mail starting in the middle of February.

Detailed information about these recalls is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and at the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Toyota Motor Sales, Corporate Communications
(310) 468-5297
(310) 468-7359
Admin

1 user thanked Forum Admin for this useful post.
Dr Watson on 7/26/2013(UTC)
Dr Watson Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:50:38 PM(UTC)
Dr Watson

Originally Posted by: Forum Admin Go to Quoted Post
Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall on 2010 Model-Year Prius and 2010 Lexus HS 250h Vehicles to Update ABS Software

Click here for FAQs About the 2010 Prius/2010 Lexus HS 250h/Camry Voluntary Recalls
http://pressroom.toyota.com/art...play.cfm?article_id=1869

Unfortunately for the new owners of Prius, the latest 2013 models are still based on the 2010 models and inherit the same issues even if their software is up to date. Mine is 2013 and I got this issue when I reached 3700 miles. Both lights went ON and Prius stopped charging the battery while I was slowing down. The first impression - the break works, but not as eficiently as before. Plus the battery goes down pretty quickly because the only way to charge it is to drive and let the car charge it in background, which is not very powerful as you'd be charging while slowing down. The lights were ON for about 7-10 miles then the car automatically recovered with no explanation. The code didn't show any errors! The problem is - I drive in a very dry environment, the roads are close to perfect, but in this particular case I was standing in a parkig lot, the Prius was in the Parking position, but the engine was ON because I needed the AC. Suddenly both lights went ON. I did shut down right away and restarted the engine. It helped for a few seconds, then they both went back ON. Wow, seems pretty scary!
Forum Admin Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:15:51 PM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Here is what I found on the Internet, it's related to the Toyota Prius ABS issue.

Getting Ready For an ABS Sensor Clean Up: http://autorepair.about.com/od/...ance/ss/abs_sens_cln.htm

Admin

Dr Watson Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 5:32:09 PM(UTC)
Dr Watson

Originally Posted by: Dr Watson Go to Quoted Post

Toyota Prius is a great car and there is no doubt about it. But nothing is perfect. Here is a list of bugs and issues found in this car. I guess this list will be periodically updated by other people.

What really interesting is - Toyota USA after a 2 week investigation officially said, that the security system was designed this way. It was professionally installed and they have no doubt about it. So if it doesn't lock the doors then it's fine, the thiefs are welcome! If your car does recognize you, unlocks the doors, turns the cabin lights on, but doesn't disable the alarm system and then after a 30-second delay turns the alarm ON it's done especially to make your life more saturated. Toyota, you exceeded my worst expectations! You not only made a few serious security system design mistakes, but it looks like you are proud of it! Anybody can contact Celeste Knight, who is the official Toyota Executive Representative in the USA. She was talking to me a few times in order to first document, then to verify and finally to confirm these bugs. Are these issues going to be fixed? Honestly, I doubt, because the way they work doesn't neither prove nor show that Toyota is going to fix these issues in the nearest future. So the current and the future customers, don't even consider the Toyota "best" security system, as they introduce it, save your money and go to something aftermarket. You will get way more for same or even lower money.
Forum Admin Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 1:31:07 AM(UTC)
Admin Happy Ankle

Man

Here is a new just found bug. Toyota Prius shows how much money you saved each month. The problem is - the showed savings are limited with just $200, so if you make a long trip and save $300-$400 or even more you will keep seeing $200. Bad design, Toyota!
Admin